Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Balancing Act


I can hardly believe it's November--actually December and there's not a snowflake in the air. (Knock on wood and the computer screen). Does it still feel like a cool summer too you? Ok, I'm delusional. But at least you can admit that it certainly isn't the dark days of winter, although the days are definitely shorter. I'm still not getting used to running out to my car in the dark at 4:30 p.m. Forgive me if you think this is a complaint but it's really not. I'm ecstatic that I can go out and not yet have to scrape the frost of my car window before heading home OR to work. In fact, I was extremely ecstatic that the temperature was warm enough for us to rally the gang of middle school students outside with Todd Brodeur to participate in final viewing of invited performers during our Annual Performer's Showcase the other week. I was also in amazement that Mr. Brodeur had enough Frisbees to lend to EVERY willing student who wanted to learn a new frisbee trick. I was impressed! And I was even more impressed with many of our acts who were able to adapt to performing in front of lower and upper middle school students when the nearby elementary school couldn't participate at the last minute. While a few performers were nervous, others broke out in wide smiles and wanted to roll with the punches along with me. What's an artist to do? If there ever was a time to put on a happy face--this was it! So while certain acts were "suited for younger audiences", our invited guests offered performances that erased the age appropriate line. If you weren't there, you would have missed those kids who rapped right along AND added sound effects with a presenter who only offered elementary aged stories. Or you would not have seen kids signing along a story about a whale and its travels. Yes, these were sixth AND eight graders enjoying the show. Which goes to show, that good stories capture the imagination and interest of willing participants.

Speaking of participation, I look forward in working with those librarians who offered to help facilitate the next showcase. You know who you are I will be calling upon on. And others who decide to volunteer later next year,you know how to reach me. I could certainly use a hand in this making our showcase an exciting adventure for everyone involved. All it takes is a willingness to juggle the precarious and ever evolving musical acts....

No comments: